What makes this keto cereal a cut above the rest is that we’ve focussed on selecting the most nutrient-dense low-carb ingredients full of quality fats and, at the same time, making it taste delicious. Plus, it’s very easy to make.
What I love about this recipe
- Super Healthy: Coconut oil, nuts, and seeds are excellent sources of healthy fats, essential for maintaining energy levels, promoting brain health, and aiding in nutrient absorption.
- Low in carbs: This keto cereal is low in carbohydrates, which is important for those following a ketogenic diet. The body is forced to burn fat for energy instead of glucose by keeping carb intake low.
- High fiber: Chia seeds and flaxseeds are high in fiber, essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system and promoting feelings of fullness and satiety.
- Nutrient-dense: The combination of nuts, seeds, and coconut provides a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin E, magnesium, and zinc.
- Easy to make. Simply mix, bake, cool, and eat. All of the ingredients can be found at the grocery store.
- Gluten-free. Keto cereal contains only nuts and seeds that don’t contain gluten. There are no wheat, spelt, rye, barley, or oats added.
- Delicious: This keto cereal is a tasty and satisfying way to start the day, especially when served with full-fat cream and unsweetened almond milk.
Tip: This keto cereal also makes a terrific trail mix with super-healthy fats from the nuts and seeds used for plenty of long-lasting energy that the keto diet is known for.
Ingredients and substitutions
Portion sizes are in the recipe card.
- Shredded coconut. Unsweetened, read the label as some shredded coconut has sugar added.
- Coconut flakes.
- Flaked almonds. Crushed almonds also work.
- Flaxseeds. Full of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Pepitas. Low carb and again full of healthy fats. Pepitas come from a particular type of pumpkin, not shelled pumpkin seeds.
- Chia seeds. A superfood that provides so many benefits.
- Sunflower seeds.
- Cinnamon. You can use ground cinnamon or grind down a cinnamon stick yourself.
- Erythritol. Granulated. You can also use monk fruit or allulose. Both are natural sweeteners.
- Coconut oil. Melted. Depending on your climate, you may have to pre-melt your coconut oil so it is in liquid for mixing.
- Vanilla extract. Vanilla essence also works and is less expensive. The difference is that vanilla essence is synthetic and vanilla extract is naturally taken from the vanilla bean. We prefer the natural one.
How to make the best keto breakfast cereal
Step 1. Preheat
Preheat oven to 150C/300F.
Step 2. Mix all ingredients
In a bowl, mix together all ingredients until very well combined.
Step 3. Bake
Spread evenly over a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent burning. Remove from the oven when the ingredients are golden brown and toasted.
Step 4. Cool and store
Allow the cereal to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.
- With yogurt. Layer your yogurt with keto cereal as a granola in a keto parfait. Delicious!
- Smoothie bowls. Add some crunch to a keto smoothie bowl with other healthy ingredients. You’ll have a delicious and nutritious meal in minutes.
- Granola bars. Make the most awesome granola bars for the perfect snack on the go,
Keto Cereal – (Super Healthy)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut shredded
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shaved Coconut
- 1/2 cup Almonds flaked
- 1/2 cup Flaxseeds
- 1/3 cup Pepitas
- 1/3 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/3 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon ground
- 1/3 cup Erythritol
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F.
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients until very well combined.1 cup Unsweetened Coconut, 1 cup Unsweetened Shaved Coconut, 1/2 cup Almonds, 1/2 cup Flaxseeds, 1/3 cup Pepitas, 1/3 cup Chia Seeds, 1/3 cup Sunflower Seeds, 1 tablespoon Cinnamon, 1/3 cup Erythritol, 1/3 cup Coconut Oil, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Spread evenly over a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent burning. Remove from the oven when the ingredients are golden brown and toasted.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Frequently asked questions
Store keto cereal in an airtight container on the counter if in a cool climate or in the refrigerator for up to one month in warmer climates. You can freeze keto cereal for up to 3 months.
Yes, keto cereal contains only nuts and seeds that don’t contain gluten. There is no wheat, spelt, rye, barley, or oats added, making it perfect for gluten-free diets.
There are 4 grams of net carbs per serving of keto cereal. Net carbs equal 17 grams of total carbs minus 13 grams of fiber.
If the coconut oil is melting off the nuts and seeds and pooling in the base of your container, it usually means you’re in a warmer climate. Mix it well and store it back in the fridge.
Keto Cereal Alternatives
- Keto Bread – the most delicious for low-carb “toast.”
- Keto Ham & Cheese Omelet – for egg lovers
- Keto Matcha Powder Pudding – for those who love a tasty “fat burner.”
- Low Carb Frosties – our “special” keto version of the classic
- Keto “faux” Granola Bar – no cereal, just healthy nuts, and seeds
- Cheddar Cheese and Zucchini Keto Muffins – bake them and love them
- Keto Frittata – a mega breakfast in a pan
- Keto Chai Chia Pudding – loaded with healthy goodness
Simply adjust the serving amounts above to make this Keto Cereal recipe in a larger batch.