What would a ball game be without a chewy pretzel, you don’t have to miss out anymore with our Ketogenic Soft Pretzels. They are soft and chewy with a beautiful yeasty aroma of freshly baked bread.
Oktoberfest is underway in Germany, the festival celebrating beer is the world’s largest and a very important piece of Bavarian culture. Millions of people attend the festival every year and soak in the wheat-filled, high-carb atmosphere, we’re doing our bit to keep those carbs out of our celebrations – with Ketogenic Soft Pretzels.
Our recipe makes 12 pretzels, a serve is one pretzel as reflected in the nutritional information.
The pretzels are best eaten on the day of cooking, if there are any left over, store them in the fridge. They can easily be refreshed, give them a quick re-bake for 5 minutes in a 170C/340F oven to crisp up the outside and soften the inside – or 30 seconds in the microwave if you like them soft.
NOTE: The dough is very sticky, I have found it easiest to roll out on a smooth, clean bench top or plastic cutting board and wearing food safe gloves will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
Ingredients for Making Your Low Carb Ketogenic Soft Pretzels:
- 3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons of Cream Cheese
- 1 ½ cups of Almond Flour
- 2 teaspoons of Xanthum Gum
- 2 Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of Dried Yeast, approximately 1 sachet
- 2 tablespoons of Warm Water
- 2 tablespoons of Butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of Pretzel Salt
Instructions for Making Your Low Carb Ketogenic Soft Pretzel:
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- In a microwave safe dish, place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 30 sec increments, stirring in between, until fully melted and almost liquid.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and allow it to sit and activate for 2 minutes.
- In your stand mixer (using the dough hook attachment), place the almond meal and xanthum gum and mix well.
- Add the eggs, yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and mix well.
- Add the hot melted cheese to the stand mixer and allow it to knead the dough until all the ingredients are fully combined. Around 5-10 minutes.
- Split the dough into 12 balls. The dough is easiest to work with while it is warm.
- Roll each ball into a long skinny log and twist into a pretzel shape. Place on a lined cookie sheet and give a little space with side as the pretzels will rise.
- Brush the pretzels with the remaining butter and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- When the pretzels are golden brown, remove them from the oven. Don’t burn your fingers trying to eat them immediately.
If you’re looking for a sweet version of these low-carb pretzels try these glazed pretzels they’re like a low-carb donut.
Do you work in the metric measuring system? It’s easy to switch the units from US imperial to metric with the drop down menu on the recipe card below.
If you want to make a larger batch of Low Carb Ketogenic Soft Pretzels, simply adjust the serving amounts in our easy to use recipe card below. The measurements and ingredients will adjust themselves, and all you have to do is follow the method.