What makes this keto scones recipe so good is its versatility. You can change ingredients, add ingredients, make it sweet or savory, and it’s very easy to bake.
Be sure to dice your ham relatively small for these keto scones – more pieces mean more tiny morsels of ham flavor in each serving.
This recipe makes 12 scones. One serving is one scone, and each has 2g net carbs.
Why we love this recipe
- Versatile. This recipe can be adapted to taste. You can make it sweet or savory (like the one below) and different ingredients such as natural sweeteners, bacon, various cheese, berries, choc chips, and more.
- Healthy. These scones are very low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and great for paleo diets.
- Easy to make. All ingredients are available at the grocery store, and your scones will be ready to eat in under 20 minutes.
- Delicious. We love them served hot with a big knob of butter.
Ingredients & Substitutes
Portion sizes are in the recipe card below.
- Almond flour. This is the base of this recipe.
- Coconut flour. It holds water and makes these scones moister.
- Baking powder. It makes the scones lighter and not so dense.
- White pepper. It draws out the flavor of the ham and is ideally suited to savory scones.
- Cheddar cheese. Adds bite and texture. Who doesn’t love cheese?
- Ham. You can use any variety of ham. Just make sure it’s sliced thick for dicing. Alternatively, diced bacon also works well.
- Chives. We like fresh chives when we can, but dried chives are also acceptable.
- Eggs. Large, organic free-range eggs as the flavor is better, and the chickens live a better life too.
- Salted butter. Organic grass-fed butter is best, but any salted butter will work.
Step 1. Preheat oven
Preheat your oven to 160C/320F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2. Mix dry ingredients
Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix. Then add the cheddar, ham, and chives. Mix well.
Step 3. Add wet ingredients
Add the eggs and butter and mix into a sticky dough.
Step 4. Shape the dough and cut
Place a sheet of parchment onto your bench and press the dough into a 9-inch wide disc. Next, cut like a pizza into 12 triangles.
Step 5. Bake
Gently move each triangle onto your cookie sheet, leaving a little room between each. You may need to use a thin icing spatula to help and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Serve hot or cold.
Frequently asked questions
Scones can be stored in the fridge for up to one week or frozen for up to three months.
Regular scones contain flour and are very high in carbs, so they are not keto-friendly. Our keto scones are very low-carb and high-fat, so they are perfect for keto diets.
The average scone has between 35g and 45g of carbohydrates. Our keto scones have just 2g net carbs.
Keto Scones (2g Carbs)
- Preheat your oven to 160C/320F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix. Then add the cheddar, ham, and chives. Mix well.2 cups Almond Flour, ¼ cup Coconut Flour, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon White Pepper, 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, ⅓ cup Ham, 2 tablespoons Chives
- Add the eggs and butter and mix into a sticky dough.2 large Eggs, 2 tablespoons Salted Butter
- Place a sheet of parchment onto your bench and press the dough into a 9in wide disc. Cut like a pizza into 12 triangles.
- Gently move each triangle onto your cookie sheet, leaving a little room between each. You may need to use a thin icing spatula to help and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Serve hot or cold, we love them hot with a big knob of butter.
- You can swap out ham for bacon
- If you have a favorite cheese, you may swap it out for cheddar.
- Add your favorite herbs in place of chives. We have used an Italian herb blend with success.
Looking for more delicious Keto savory baked goods; try our;
To make a larger batch of this Keto Ham & Cheddar Scones recipe, adjust the servings above.