What makes this pizza sauce great for keto recipes is that we make it from scratch by using natural sweeteners instead of sugar. It’s basically a no added sugar marinara sauce.
Why this recipe works so well
- Perfect combination. The garlic, puree, and herbs are the perfect match for an aromatic, flavorsome, and versatile sauce that can be used for lots of different dishes.
- Low carb and keto friendly. This keto pizza sauce has no sugar added, making it much lower in carbs. Perfect when used with higher-fat ingredients for keto meals.
- Healthy. This pizza sauce has no added preservatives or thickeners in store-bought versions, making it ideal for people who react to artificial ingredients.
- Quick and easy. This recipe requires only one pot and is ready in 10 minutes.
- It can be made in bulk and stored. You can double or even ten times the ingredients to make this pizza sauce to keep in the refrigerator or freezer.
How to use this recipe
This keto pizza sauce doubles as a low-carb marina sauce and can be used in various recipes.
- Keto chicken parmiagana. This sauce is the perfect low-carb addition to our popular keto parmigiana recipe.
- Keto pizza. Of course, we couldn’t go without a keto pizza recipe. We use it liberally on our keto frying pan pizza and keto cauliflower pizza recipes.
- Keto casseroles. Casseroles feature a lot in our cooking, and we have used this sauce as a marinara in many of our casserole recipes.
- Meatballs. Use pizza sauce as the base for keto meatballs, as in our meatball sub sandwich.
- Dipping sauce. It makes an excellent dipping sauce for a cheesy snack or finger food like our cauliflower tots.
- Vegetables and noodles. It works wonderfully to give flavor and texture to low-carb noodles, spaghetti sauces, and vegetables. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
Ingredients & substitution
- Olive Oil. Extra virgin.
- Garlic clove. Finely grated. Use two or three cloves if you love garlic.
- Onion Flakes.
- Thyme. Finely chopped. Fresh is best if you can get it.
- Oregano. Finely chopped. As always, fresh is best, but you can use dried oregano if fresh is not available.
- Tomato Puree.
- Monk Fruit. Granulated. Monk fruit has become popular in grocery stores as it has a great sweet flavor, it’s natural, and has no aftertaste. If you can’t get monk fruit, you can use erythritol, another natural sweetener.
- Pepper. Ground black pepper.
- Red wine vinegar. You can substitute for cooking wine but check the number of carbohydrates on the nutrition label and adjust accordingly.
- Parsley. Fresh and finely chopped.
How to make keto pizza sauce
Step 1. Saute the herbs and spices
Place the oil, garlic, onion flakes, thyme, and oregano in a saucepan. Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Step 2. Simmer the sauce
Add the tomato puree and stir well, then add the erythritol, pepper, salt, and red wine vinegar and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Continue to stir.
Step 3. Turn off the heat
Turn off the heat and stir through the parsley.
Step 4. Store
Cool the sauce and store it in an airtight jar in the fridge.
Keto Pizza Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic finely grated
- 2 teaspoons Onion Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Thyme finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Oregano finely chopped
- 24 ounces Tomato Puree
- 2 teaspoons Monk fruit Erythritol maybe used in place of monk fruit if is not available. Both are natural sweeteners.
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper ground
- 2 tablespoons Parsley finely chopped
- In a saucepan, place the oil, garlic, onion flakes, thyme and oregano. Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes, until fragrant.2 tablespoons Olive Oil, 2 cloves Garlic, 2 teaspoons Onion Flakes, 2 teaspoons Thyme, 2 teaspoons Oregano
- Add the tomato puree and stir well.24 ounces Tomato Puree
- Add the monk fruit, pepper, salt and red wine vinegar and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Continue to stir.2 teaspoons Monk fruit, 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Turn off the heat and stir through the parsley2 tablespoons Parsley
- Cool the sauce and store in an airtight jar in the fridge.
Frequently asked questions
Store pizza sauce in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to two months.
On its own, keto pizza sauce is not keto-friendly. Even low-carb pizza sauces are not keto-friendly on their own. Pizza sauce is just an ingredient to be used with other high-fat ingredients where the total macros for the meal make it keto-friendly.
Pizza sauce is not low-carb. But due to the amount used along with higher fat ingredients, the entire meal is often low-carb.
Yes. Pizza sauce tastes delicious with pasta or as a base for a variety of pasta sauces.
This keto sauce makes 24 ounces/680g of sauce, of which a serving is a ¼ cup. The recipe makes 14 servings. One serving has 2g of net carbs.
Looking for more delicious Keto Sauce recipes? Try our;