The secret to this delicious keto risotto is that we swap out regular rice for healthy low-carb cauliflower rice.
This easy cauliflower rice recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, and healthy. It’s quick and perfect for vegetarians or as a side dish.
This Keto Risotto recipe makes four side serves (or two main servings). One side serving has 4g net carbs (as reflected in the nutritional information below).
Why This Recipe Is So Good
- Keto Friendly. This risotto uses cauliflower rice instead of regular rice, reducing the carbs significantly with only 2g net carbs.
- Quick and easy. This one-pan recipe makes clean-up a breeze and is done in 15 minutes.
- Common Ingredients. The ingredients for this risotto are easy to find on the shelf of any grocery store.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Olive oil. Extra virgin.
- Garlic cloves. Crushed. Fresh garlic is always best, but you can use crushed garlic in a jar.
- Onion. Finely diced.
- Salt. Any salt will do, but I prefer to use iodized salt for its health benefits. It tastes the same.
- White pepper. Ground.
- Mushrooms. Quartered. I use button mushrooms, but you are free to use any mushroom. Just cut them to the size of a quartered button mushroom.
- Oregano leaves. Finely chopped. Fresh is best, but you can use dried oregano if you can’t source it fresh.
- Cauliflower rice. Learn how to make cauliflower rice here.
- Vegetable stock.
- Butter. Salted. Grass-fed butter is always best, but any salted butter will work.
- Parmesan cheese. Shredded. I like to shred my own parmesan cheese from the block, but you can also use pre-shredded parmesan.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Place a large nonstick frying pan over high heat. Add the oil, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
Step 2: Add mushrooms and oregano and saute for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Add the cauliflower rice and vegetable stock, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook the risotto, often stirring, for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower has softened.
Step 4: Remove from the heat and stir through the butter and parmesan cheese.
Recipe Flavor Variations
- Risotto is a very flexible recipe. You can customize it to suit your taste, and for variety, I’ve made it with a lot of different ingredients with excellent results.
- Add bacon or chicken, spinach, kale, and mini broccoli florets. One recent variation we made was adding chorizo and mild peppers, giving it more of a Spanish feel.
- If you like the flavor of paella, you can tweak this risotto by using and swapping out ingredients such as shrimp, clams, or lobster.
- Try swapping the vegetable stock with chicken broth or beef stock for a different type of flavor also.
- Try making arancini balls which are a risotto-based dish that’s very popular.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 small Onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon White Pepper ground
- 7 ounces Mushrooms quartered
- ¼ cup Oregano Leaves finely chopped
- 9 ounces Cauliflower Rice
- ¼ cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Place a large nonstick frying pan over high heat.
- Add the oil, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes until the onion starts to turn translucent.2 tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 small Onion, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon White Pepper, 2 cloves Garlic
- Add mushrooms and oregano and saute for 5 minutes.7 ounces Mushrooms, ¼ cup Oregano Leaves
- Add the cauliflower rice and vegetable stock then reduce the heat to medium. Cook the risotto, stirring often for 10-15 minutes, until the cauliflower has softened.9 ounces Cauliflower Rice, ¼ cup Vegetable Stock
- Remove from the heat and stir through the butter and parmesan cheese.2 tablespoons Butter, ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store risotto in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
No, traditional risotto is not keto-friendly as it is made with rice. Replacing rice with cauliflower will make risotto keto friendly.
Reheat risotto in the frying pan over low heat until warm.
More Italian-Inspired Keto Recipes To Try
Adjust the servings above to make a larger batch of this Keto Mushroom Risotto recipe.