What makes this delicious broccoli casserole recipe so good is that there are no special ingredients. Everything can be picked up at the grocery store. It is perfect for vegetarians, on its own, as a side to meat dishes and meal prep.
Why I love this recipe
- Low Carb: The main ingredient in keto broccoli casserole is broccoli, which is a low-carb vegetable. This makes it an excellent option for those looking to maintain a low-carb lifestyle while still enjoying a delicious and satisfying meal.
- High in Healthy Fats: Keto broccoli casserole is typically made with cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheddar cheese, which are all high in healthy fats. These fats help keep you full and satisfied for longer, making it easier to stick to your keto diet.
- Nutritious: Broccoli is a nutrient-dense vegetable that is rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium. Adding broccoli to your diet can help support overall health and well-being.
- Versatile: Keto broccoli casserole is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. You can add bacon, mushrooms, chicken, or other ingredients to make it your own.
- Vegetarian. This is a vegetarian version of our keto broccoli, chicken, and cheese casserole that is so popular. It s not just for vegetarians; I eat it on its own or as a side with steak and other meat or for meal prep.
Overall, keto broccoli casserole is a delicious and nutritious dish perfect for those following a ketogenic diet.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Broccoli. We use fresh broccoli, but frozen broccoli works well. Ensure you drain and remove as much water from the broccoli as possible.
- Cream cheese. Only use full-fat cream cheese.
- Heavy cream.
- Butter. Salted. We like to use grass-fed butter.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic is essential to give the sauce its brilliant flavor. Swapping it out for the jarred minced garlic will work, but the taste is slightly different.
- Salt. We use iodized table salt, but any salt will do.
- Black pepper. Ground.
- Cheddar cheese. Grated. The sharper the cheese, the better.
How to make the best keto broccoli casserole
Step 1. Preheat
Preheat your oven to 200C/390F.
Step 2. Steam broccoli
Steam or boil the broccoli just enough to be crunchy on the inside. Drain and place into a large mixing bowl. Ensure you drain the broccoli well, removing as much water as possible.
Step 3. Cook Sauce
Place the garlic, butter, salt, pepper, cream cheese, and heavy cream in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 7-10 minutes while stirring until the cream cheese has melted.
Step 4. Combine and top
Add the sauce to the broccoli and 2 ounces of the cheddar cheese, and gently mix. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Step 5. Bake and serve
Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned. Serve immediately.
Easy Keto Broccoli Casserole
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper ground
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat your oven to 200C/390F.
- Steam or boil the broccoli just enough so that it is still crunchy on the inside. Drain well and place into a large mixing bowl. Ensure you drain the broccoli well, removing as much water as possible.1 pound broccoli
- Place the garlic, butter, salt, pepper, cream cheese, and heavy cream in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 7-10 minutes while stirring until the cream cheese has melted.4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon butter, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add the sauce into the broccoli, along with 2 ounces of the cheddar cheese and gently mix then pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.4 ounces cheddar cheese
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned. Serve immediately.
- If you like adding meat to your casseroles, try diced bacon, shredded chicken, or ground beef. Be sure to cook all meat first.
- Try adding 1/2 sour cream 1/2 heavy cream if you like a slightly bitter cream
- Combine mozzarella with the cheddar for a stretchy consistency, or add a little parmesan for more bite.
Frequently asked questions
If you’re following a low-carb diet, broccoli casserole is very healthy. It has lots of vitamins and minerals and is high in fiber while delivering a good dose of healthy fats for energy.
Yes. Broccoli casserole contains no grains or flour and is gluten-free.
If you keep any high-carb ingredients out of your recipe, such as rice, broccoli casserole is very keto-friendly.
There are 3 grams of net carbs in broccoli casserole. Net carbs equal total carbohydrates (7 grams) minus fiber (4 grams).
There are 375 calories per 200-gram serving of broccoli casserole.
This Keto Broccoli Cheese recipe makes four servings.
How to store
Store keto broccoli casserole in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
If you are looking for other great Keto side dishes, why not try some of our other great recipes;
Adjust the servings above to make a larger batch of Keto Broccoli Cheese.