Missing Ice Cream on your ketogenic diet? Well, we have some great news for you. We’ve come up with the best keto ice cream recipe for all of the chocolate and ice cream lovers out there. It’s a very low-carb ice cream which you can make in a variety of flavors.
Making your keto Ice cream at home isn’t a difficult task with the right tools. We use a high-quality, affordable ice cream maker that you can get here.. In fact, the machine is so popular that our Chefs mother also has one.
Creating your own low carb ice cream ensures that you know exactly what goes into it. You avoid preservatives, additives and, of course, no sneaky sugars to keep your Ice Cream Carb Free and Keto friendly.
Authentic rich and creamy ice cream is based on a Creme Anglaise, a French pouring custard, traditionally made with egg yolks, sugar, and milk.
We made our Creme Anglaise extra creamy by swapping the milk for heavy cream, to increase the fat content and lower the number of carbohydrates, resulting in a low-carb keto ice cream that will impress even the most assuming dessert connoisseur.
Ingredients needed for the best Low Carb Ice Cream Recipe around:
You can make adjustments to the batch sizes and also switch to US imperial measuring system in our interactive recipe card below.
- Six egg yolks
- 115gram of Erythritol. Erythritol can be hard to find, but you can get it here.
- 600ml of heavy cream
- One teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Three tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- Heat the heavy cream and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat until it reaches 50C/122F, then remove from the heat and allow to cool to 40C/104F.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the erythritol until the yolks are pale yellow, add the cocoa and mix well.
- Pour half a cup of the warm cream into the eggs and mix well, add the remaining cream and ensure that all the eggs and cream are combined. If the cream is too hot it will begin to cook the eggs and you will have small lumps of egg yolk in your ice cream.
- Pour the mix back into the saucepan that was used to heat the cream and place over low heat to thicken.
- To thicken the custard, use a low heat and stir continuously. If the mixture heats too quickly or unevenly the eggs will cook and scramble. This step can take 10-20 minutes.
The custard will be ready when the mixture coats the back of the spoon without dripping off.
- Pour the custard into container and place in the fridge, to help it cool quicker I recommend giving it a stir every 10 minutes. Depending on the size of your container it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour to completely chill.
- Pour the cold custard into your ice cream churner and let the machine work its magic. You will have delicious ice cream in under 30 minutes.
- When the ice cream is the consistency of soft serve pour it into a container and place in the freezer, leave it for at least 15 minutes to harden up and then enjoy.
We garnished our Keto Ice Cream with Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips, you could add nuts or grated chocolate and work it through your mix if you like.
If you’re for some more cooking a delicious tweak is to crumble our Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies or Chocolate Macadamia Nut Fudge in with your Keto Ice Cream. Or for a delicious dairy-free option try our Dairy-Free Coconut Keto Ice Cream.