How great is cheese, and it’s an ideal food for Ketogenic Diets! We’ve brought together 3 great cheeses to create our delicious Ketogenic Three Cheese Pie.
Feta, Ricotta and Gruyere are a complementary combination of cheeses in this tasty pie. Using fresh ricotta cheese is key in creating a smooth and creamy texture, some processed ricotta cheeses are grainy and just unpleasant to eat.
For anyone who hasn’t come across Danish Feta Cheese, or Danish White Cheese, it is made from cow’s milk and the cheese is milder, softer and creamier than Greek Feta Cheese (some say it’s not a “real” feta cheese and the EU has ruled that Feta made outside of Greece, and not using traditional ingredients, cannot be called feta). Greek Feta Cheese is traditionally 70% sheep’s milk and 30% goat milk, with a very dry and crumbly texture. For a creamier pie, Danish Feta Cheese is well worth finding!
This pie is great eaten straight from the oven. To reheat leftovers, we recommend putting your piece of pie into a 160C/320F oven for 10 minutes.
This recipe makes 10 serves.
Ingredients for Making Your Ketogenic Three Cheese Pie:
- 2 cups of Almond Flour
- 1 ounce of Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 ounce of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon of Heavy Cream
- 7 ounces of Danish Feta Cheese, also known as Danish White Cheese
- 8 ounces of Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 5 ounces of Gruyere Cheese, 1 cup grated
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup of Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons of Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Thyme, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of Pepper
- Salt, to taste
Instructions for Making Your Ketogenic Three Cheese Pie:
- Preheat oven to 180C/355F.
- In a mixing bowl, place the almond flour.
- Add the cream cheese and butter and rub into the almond flour until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add the heavy cream and gently mix together.
- Press into the base of a 9.5in quiche dish.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the base is cooked through, but still pale. Set aside while you make the filling.
- Add the feta cheese and ricotta cheese to your food processor and blend on medium speed until combined.
- Add the eggs, cream, rosemary, thyme and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Add the Gruyere and pulse until just mixed through.
- Pour the mixture into the base and smooth out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is set and there is no jiggle when the pie is moved.
- Cut into 10 pieces and serve.
If you want to make a larger batch of Ketogenic Three Cheese Pie, simply adjust the serving amounts in our easy to use recipe card below. The measurements and ingredients will adjust themselves, and all you have to do is follow the method.
Do you work in the metric measuring system? It’s easy to switch the units from US imperial to metric with the drop down menu on the recipe card below.