Considering the ketogenic diet is predominantly made up of fat it’s important to identify the good fats vs bad fats to maintain healthy keto!
To figure out which fats are best we first need to identify them by their type.
List of Good Fats
- Saturated Fats – butter, meat fat (lard, tallow), milk, cheese, coconut oil, ghee, eggs (read about the health benefits of eggs here)
- Monounsaturated Fats – virgin olive oil, avocado, macadamia nuts and oil,
- Polyunsaturated Fats (natural) – fish and fish oil, flaxseed, walnuts, chia seeds. Polyunsaturated fats have high omega-3 fatty acids
- Trans Fats (natural) – Meat and dairy products
List of Bad Fats
- Polyunsaturated fats that are processed – Many peanut oils, canola, soybean oils, rapeseed, sunflower oil are found to be processed. Processed polyunsaturated fats have high amounts of omega-6 which most people do not need to supplement as we get ample in our diets.
Excess omega-6 is responsible for inflammation.
You should get a 1:1 ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 in your diet.
- Artificial Trans fats that are processed “hydrogenated” – margarine, a lot of fast foods, hydrogenated vegetable oil, snack foods. Studies have shown that hydrogenated trans fats to be linked to cancer, mental disorders, heart disease, obesity and a plethora of other conditions.
Health Benefits of Good Fats on a Keto Diet
- Contrary to recommendations in the past, good fats improve cholesterol levels, raising HDL and minimising LDL
- Lower blood pressure
- Strengthens the immune system
- Reduces body fat
- Improve insulin resistance
- Supports bone health
- Supports hormonal balance
- Prevents inflammation
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
Ensuring that you’re careful in selecting healthy fats for cooking and avoiding processed foods you will see yourself in better health.
It’s important to stick to your ketogenic ratios of 70 percent “healthy” fat, 25 percent protein and 5 percent carbs.
Selecting the healthiest options of all 3 is just as important as calculating your macronutrients.
Once you’ve learnt what the good and bad fats are, making your keto diet as healthy as it can be will just become second nature.