One of the most important things when starting a Keto Diet is measuring your ketone levels so that you know when you’re in ketosis and the best way to do that is with a ketone meter.
Monitoring your blood ketone levels is very important for those on a ketogenic diet to keep track of what they’re eating and how it impacts ketones.
Note: If you want to cut to the chase and spare yourself the lengthy read just get the Keto Mojo it’s the best ketone meter with the best support.
My Keto Kitchen has been here a long time and we recommend very few products, those that we do we use ourselves.
The goal of a high-fat, low-carb diet is to get into a state called ketosis. Ketosis is where the body burns fat as fuel rather than using glucose as its source of energy.
Raising the blood ketone levels in your body is quite straightforward but not an exact science. That’s why a ketone meter is an essential tool in everyone’s kit.
The Best Ketone Meters For 2021
Recommended ketone meters for 2021.
- Keto Mojo blood ketone meter – We own this one and it is the one we use all of the time
- Fora 6 Bluetooth Blood Ketone Meter and Glucose Monitor – We own this one and would use it if not for the Keto Mojo.
- Precision Xtra blood ketone meter – This is the first ketone meter that we owned as it was all that was available. The Keto Mojo is better plus their support is great.
- Ketonix breath ketone meter analyzer – Measures acetone levels on the breath. We don’t use it but some people like them because of the convenience, I found it not to be as accurate as a blood ketone meter.
Blood Ketone Meter or Breath Monitor Which is Best To Test Levels?
There are several types of ketone meters available that monitor ketosis and test blood ketone levels. They measure ketone levels in different ways.
The difference is that some are more accurate than others and some more convenient than others.
Below we discuss several types of ketone meters to monitor ketosis that are currently available. Some monitor glucose as well as test blood ketone levels, and others measure the breath ketone by-product “acetone.”
More recently, the popular Keto Mojo Ketone Meter brand has come out with an easy to apply Bluetooth connectivity (now integrated within the unit) and a free app also.
Types of Ketone Meters
There are three main types of keto meters available; they all monitor ketone levels in different ways via blood, breath or urine.
We list each product below from the most accurate the others may be more convenient.
(depending on what you consider convenient. We believe accuracy is most important).
- Blood Ketone Test Meters: Measure ketone levels in the blood.
- Breath Ketone Meters: Measure the ketone by-product acetone on the breath.
- Ketostix: (Aka Urine Strips); measure acetoacetate in the urine.
As we touch on, we do not use Ketostix anymore.
Keto Mojo Blood Test Ketone Meter
The Keto Mojo is a blood ketone test kit as well as a blood glucose measuring device.
Update for 2021: Keto Mojo has just released a new Ketone Meter with builtin Bluetooth. This makes keeping track of your ketone levels much easier.
The makers claim that the Keto Mojo is the most accurate meter on the market. (We agree that it is at least on par with other blood ketone meters).
Keto Mojo is perfect for people on a ketogenic diet to measure their ketone levels fast and accurately.
This ketone monitor also measures blood glucose levels and blood oxygen levels. (invaluable metrics)
The Keto Mojo “Promo” Kit comes with everything needed for you to get started. Plus you get discounted future ketone strip purchases:
- The Bluetooth Keto Mojo meter
- 1 lancet device
- 10 blood ketone test strips
- 10 blood glucose test strips
- 10 lancets
- Carrying case
The Keto Mojo blood ketone meter works along similar lines as other keto meters (The Keto mojo is also FDA Approved blood ketone test kit).
It measures blood ketone levels (or glucose) by pricking your finger with the painless lancing device that comes with the Keto Mojo blood ketone meter kit.
You then allow the ketone test strip to absorb your drop of blood. Then put the test strip into the Mojo keto meter for accurate ketone levels reading.
Considering the technology, price, and accuracy, the Keto Mojo blood ketone meter is one of the best value for money in our opinion.
FORA 6 Bluetooth Blood Ketone Meter
The Fora 6 Bluetooth blood ketone meter is another monitor that we’ve tried.
This little beauty does the same thing as other blood keto meters and is similarly built.
Bluetooth Blood Ketone Meter Test Kit
The Fora 6 Connect Blood Ketone Meter comes with Bluetooth connectivity just like the Keto Mojo.
A handy function to keep track of your ketone levels and blood glucose on your mobile and tablet devices.
We’ve tested it on IOS devices, iPhone and Ipad and it works seamlessly. We haven’t yet tested Android but its there.
Like the Keto Mojo Blood Ketone Meter, it monitors blood glucose levels as well as ketone levels.
About The Fora 6 Bluetooth Blood Ketone Meter
- The Fora 6 is FDA Approved
- The Fora 6 measures both blood ketone levels and blood glucose levels
- The Fora 6 connects via Bluetooth to Android and Apple IOS devices
- The Fora 6 comes with free access to the IOS App and Android App
- The Fora 6 App records trend graphs with time patterns
- The Fora 6 allows you to add notes to your readings (record what you ate beforehand)
You can use the Fora 6 blood ketone meter without using the bluetooth function.
The Fora 6 Connect is every bit as accurate measuring ketone levels as the other blood keto meters available.
Just like the other blood keto meters. To use it, you prick your finger, dip the ketone (or glucose) strip in your blood, and put it into the machine for an accurate reading. Easy!
Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Meter & Glucose Monitor
One of the oldest meters around for monitoring ketosis is the Precision Xtra blood ketone meter and glucose monitor.
One problem I found with precision is getting hold of anyone for support.
The Precision Xtra works similarly to the newer ketone meters, Keto Mojo and Fora 6. It works by pricking your finger then dipping a ketone test strip in your blood.
The machine then gives you a reading of your blood ketone levels.
Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Meter Things To Know
- Using the Precision Xtra blood ketone meter and glucose monitor is a very accurate way to test ketone levels.
- You can also accurately test blood glucose levels as well as ketone levels. (You will need different blood glucose test strips).
- The Precision Xtra blood ketone meter is sold by Abbott Pharmaceuticals (A very large multinational), so a lot has gone into its development, “but” it hasn’t changed in some time, and they do not sell it directly so expect a more significant mark up from retailers.
- You need to keep a ready supply of test strips on hand with the Precision Xtra blood glucose and ketone meter.
Unfortunately, you can’t buy the Precision Xtra Directly like the Mojo and Fora 6 and that’s why we like to stick with the Keto Mojo.
The Best Breath Ketone Meter (Breathalyzer)
A breath ketone meter monitors ketosis by measuring the levels of acetone on the breath. Breath ketone meters (breath ketone analyzers) aren’t quite as accurate as a blood ketone meter.
But breath ketone meters are the next best thing if you’re not keen on pricking your finger all the time.
We’ve checked a few out, and many simply are not up to scratch, so we’re not going to bother with those, but we can recommend one that is a pioneer in the market called the Ketonix.
Ketonix Breath Ketone Meter
Where the Ketonix lacks in accuracy compared to the Fora 6 or Ketone Mojo, it makes up for with convenience.
Like we said earlier, the Ketonix ketone breath meter works by measuring acetone on the breath rather than having to prick your finger. So weigh up what’s best for you, accuracy or convenience? We prefer a blood ketone meter, but we don’t mind pricking our fingers.
You don’t have to prick your finger with the Ketonix breath ketone meter. It doesn’t use any blood glucose test or blood ketone test strip.
The Ketonix breath ketone meter works by analysing acetone on your breath that your body produces. Acetone is produced when you’re in a state of ketosis.
Rather than measuring blood ketone levels, the Ketonix breathalyzer measures acetone ( a by-product of ketosis ) on the breath.
The Ketonix breathalyser is ideal for those who find pricking their finger for blood ketone meters inconvenient.
Ketonix takes a different approach to measure ketones than a blood glucose meter and is more convenient.
Ketonix Breath Ketone Meter Benefits
- With the Ketonix, you can test yourself an unlimited amount of times, hourly if you like.
- Ketonix breathalyzer is ideal if you want to see how various foods affect ketosis. Test your breath after you’ve eaten or to measure the effect exercise has on ketone levels.
- The Ketonix is affordable when you take into account the price of test strips for blood monitors.
- The Ketonix has no test strips and requires no further outlay.
- Ketonix also comes with software that will keep a log and also calibrates the device to the optimal settings for your goals.
If you’re monitoring ketones levels for conditions like athletic performance, weight loss, or diabetes.
The Ketonix adjusts its settings to test whether you’re in the ideal range for that condition.
The Ketonix Breath Ketone Analyzer is a one-off payment.
Ketostix Ketone Strips
The oldest method of testing for ketosis is by using Ketostix. Ketostix is a thin strip that you either dip in your urine or pass through the stream. Ketostix is not nearly as accurate as of the Breath analyzer or Blood Ketone Meters.
What Are Ketostix?
Ketostix is thin strips that you either dip in your urine or pass through the stream to measure ketone levels.
Ketostix is not as accurate as blood ketone meters or breath ketone analyzers.
Ketostix can be deceptive; many people find themselves striving to get a purple indication when they might already be in ketosis.
You could have high ketone levels and still get no indication with Ketostix. I don’t recommend Ketostix, I’ve linked to them simply so that you can get a better indication of what they are.
Why Are Ketostix Inaccurate For Monitoring Ketosis?
Ketostix is inaccurate because urine contains so many different elements that can differ from day to day and times of the day.
Ketone levels vary with Ketostix for reasons including how hydrated you are, the food you’ve eaten, and the activity is undertaken.
Some people think Ketostix are ok for getting an indication of ketosis now and then. I wouldn’t rely on them.
Those people who are monitoring their ketone levels “often,” are best to buy The Keto Mojo Blood Ketone Meter.
You’ll get more accurate readings and peace of mind using a blood or breath ketone meter than Ketostix.
Before we conclude, I’d like to answer a common question.
What Is A Good Blood Ketone Level for Ketosis?
The optimum range of ketone levels when you test blood ketones for ketosis is between 1.5 and 3 mmol/L in the blood. However, nutritional ketosis begins at 0.5 mol/L.
If you note on the chart above the effects that exercise and fasting have on blood ketones and ketosis, the chart above also highlights why it is so important to keep tabs on your blood ketone levels with a ketone monitor.
If you want to stay on point with your keto diet, it’s wise to keep tabs and test your blood ketone levels often.
Using one of the recommended ketone meters mentioned above will keep you honest and on track. They’re the best available ketone meters for 2021, some of them measure blood glucose as well.
Ketone Meters are great devices for monitoring ketosis and keeping your ketones levels on point, everyone that is serious about their keto diet should have one.