You might consider ketone supplements to get into ketosis or to keep you there. Maybe if you’re starting out or for athletic performance and cognition, they can be beneficial.
Ketone supplements are ideal for people who have their macros and diet on point.
They benefit those looking for enhanced energy and cognitive function and they do help those who’s weight loss has stagnated.
There are a few types of ketone supplements worth mentioning that work in slightly different ways. There is also a lot of “snake oil” out here too!
Best Ketone Supplements
BHB / Ketone Salts Supplement – Readily available for sale, gives a fast and effective energy boost and aids in ketosis relatively quickly.
BHB Salts are one of the best ketone supplements on the market.
The good BHB Salt products taste great and are affordable.
Giant Keto BHB Salts Supplement
Manufacturers and retailers recommend that those new to BHB Salts, supplement with them starting with a low dose to test tolerance.
The Benefits of BHB Salt Ketone Supplements
- Supplementing with BHB Salts puts you in Ketosis fast. (1)
- Studies have show that ketone salt supplements help level out blood sugar levels
- Helps prevent keto flu by getting you past keto adaption quickly
- Speeds up the fat burning process by helping the body turn to fat as fuel
- Helps reduce inflammation, research has shown that BHB Salts can help reduce inflammatory molecules called NLRP3. (2)
MCT Oils and Powder Supplements
MCT Oil is the ketone supplement (along with BHB Salts) that I take regularly. MCT Oil is the old boy and is tried and tested.
You can expect a milder longer lasting energy from MCT Oil. Along with the cognitve benifits of supplementation.
MCT’s have been used as a ketone supplement for a long time in medicine. It’s used to treat those who respond well to the keto diets ability to control seizures.
MCT Oils and Powders also mix well with other foods. You can buy MCT Oil Powder and use it as a crema in place of milk in coffee etc.
This ketone supplement is a tried and tested addition to any ketogenic diet. I use MCT’s often in coffee, as a shot or in fat bomb recipes.
Benefits of MCT Oil and Powder Ketone Supplements
- Boosts energy and increases endurance when taken prior to exercise or events.
- Increases metabolism and fat burning in those eating a ketogenic diet for weight loss.
- Improves insulin resistance and lowers blood sugar levels (3)
- Coconut Oil the main source of MCT oil has been shown to lower cholesterol. (4)
- Helps in memory and thinking function on the brain. Studies have shown that Alzheimer’s patients may benefit from supplementing ketones. Ketones compensate for the loss of glucose uptake in the ageing brain. (5)
Ketone Esters Supplements
Ketone Esters are probably the fastest most potent and arguably the best ketone supplement. Ketone Esters raise levels fast and to higher limits.
Ketone esters are fast, last quite some time and have a dramatic impact on ketone levels.
I haven’t heard of anyone that didn’t get a strong boost in energy and focus from them.
One reason keto esters are not a popular ketone supplement is that they taste horrible. They are also very expensive which limits them to a select few people.
Many believe that the benefits to athletes and dieters heavily outweighing the awful taste and price.
Ketone esters are starting to make their way into the market. Hopefully, competition forces the price down.
With a bit of luck, someone will come up with a way to make ketone esters taste better and be more affordable soon.
Benefits of Ketone Ester Supplements
- Improves endurance sports output by up to 2% (a huge boost when it comes to elite athletes).
- Esters, being one of the best ketone supplements, raise levels dramatically within 30 minutes of ingestion.
- When taken as recommended there are no gastrointestinal side effects.
- Can give the benefits of ketosis without actually eating a ketogenic diet.
Check Ketone Ester prices here on Amazon.
HVMN Ketone Esters Supplement is one of the only available.
What is Not A Ketone Supplement
Raspberry Ketones are not ketone supplements, they do absolutely nothing for ketone levels.
Raspberry ketones are just another clever marketing strategy. Selling to people by attaching a catchy word to a product.
If you don’t believe it, get yourself a ketone meter to monitor ketosis levels. Take some Raspberry ketones then check your blood levels. Nothing will happen.
Every scientific research paper that we’ve read into the effects of raspberry ketones suggests: There is no conclusive evidence to suggest that Raspberry Ketones aid in weight loss. And certainly not ketosis. (6)
Are Ketone Supplements Safe?
The ketone supplements listed above are deemed safe and contain no banned or illegal substances.
The best ketone supplements such as BHB Salts, Ketone Esters, MCT Oils and Powders have been deemed safe for the wider population.
(Of course, there are people who have allergic to reactions to a wide variety of things, it’s up to you to do your due diligence).
As always if you have any ailments or allergies consult a professional.
What Ketone Supplements Do I Use?
- MCT Powder by Perfect Keto
- MCT Oil by Perfect Keto or by whoever is stocked in the local health food shop
- BHB Salts by Perfect Keto or Giant Keto BHB Salts
I don’t supplement with Ketone Esters purely for the cost factor. I have tried them and they do work as stated but way too pricey in my opinion. Elite athletes mostly are happy to part with money for that edge.
- B-hydroxybutyrate blocks NLRP3 inflammasome-mediated inflammatory disease
- On the Metabolism of Exogenous Ketones in Humans
- Effects of dietary medium-chain triglyceride on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in a group of moderately overweight free-living type 2 diabetic Chinese subjects
- Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity.
- Microbial production of 4-hydroxybenzylidene acetone, the direct precursor of raspberry ketone.
If you have any Ketone Supplements you’d like to recommend, let us know in the comments.