Our Low Carb Spice Cake gives off the comforting aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves when baking and the scent lingers for hours after. This is one delicious cake that you’ll be making all year round.
I created this recipe when I was testing potential desserts for the annual holiday family gathering. Any attempt to win the family over to a sugar free lifestyle takes many hours of recipe planning and testing and this cake is just the one to lead the charge.
The Spice Cake is moist, subtly sweet and spiced, great with and without frosting. It doesn’t take long to throw together and keeps for up to 1 week in the fridge, you can even freeze the whole un-frosted cake for up to 3 months.
The Low Carb Spice Cake makes 14 serves. Cut the cake in half and each half into seven even slices, if you struggle with cutting the slices the same size, grab one of these handy Cake Portion Markers, this one marks 14 slices on one side and 16 slices on the other.
Ingredients for Making Your Low Carb Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
Classic Spice Cake
- 5 ounces of Unsalted Butter, softened plus extra to grease the tin
- 5 ounces of Cream Cheese, softened
- ¾ cup of Natvia
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon, ground
- ½ teaspoon of Ginger, ground
- ½ teaspoon of Nutmeg, ground
- ¼ teaspoon of Cloves, ground
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut Flour
- 1 ½ cups of Almond Flour
- 5 Eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces of Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 ounces of Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup of Natvia Icing Mix
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon, ground
- 2 tablespoons of Heavy Cream
Instructions for Making Your Low Carb Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 170C/350F.
- Grease a 10in round baking tin with butter and line the base with parchment paper.
- In your stand mixer, place the butter and cream cheese. Mix on medium speed until well combined and smooth.
- Turn off the mixer and add the Natvia, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking powder. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the coconut flour, almond flour and eggs. Mix on low speed to combine the flours and eggs.
- Scrape down the mixing bowl, then mix on medium for 2-3 minutes until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the cake mix into your prepared baking tin and bake for 30-40 minutes. The cake is ready when it springs back from being touch and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn the cake out onto a cooling rake and leave to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, make the frosting: Place the cream cheese and unsalted butter into your stand mixer and mix on medium until they are combined and smooth.
- Turn your mixer onto low and add the Natvia Icing Mix one spoon at a time to prevent it from being sprayed over your kitchen.
- Add the cinnamon and heavy cream, mix for another 2 minutes.
- Spread the frosting over your cooled Spice Cake, cut yourself a serving and enjoy.
If you want to make a larger batch of Low Carb Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, simply adjust the serving amounts in our easy to use recipe card below. The measurements and ingredients will adjust themselves, and all you have to do is follow the method.
Do you work in the metric measuring system? It’s easy to switch the units from US imperial to metric with the drop down menu on the recipe card below.