A classic dish eaten all over the world, and everyone seems to have their own recipe. This is my version, Low Carb Beef Bolognese Sauce, it’s rich, thick and very tasty.
Beef Bolognese was one of the first recipes I learnt to make as a child, in the kitchen with my Mum. Slowly over the years I have adapted her recipe into my own, and since enjoying the Keto Diet, have made further tweaks to finally end up with the recipe below.
This makes a large batch of Bolognese sauce and will yield around 12 cups, or about 16 serves of ¾ cup. I like to serve mine over very thin slices of zucchini, almost like a zucchini pappardelle.
Low Carb Beef Bolognese Sauce is a great base for many more recipes to come. Stay tuned for Low Carb Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Low Carb Bolognese Pie and Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna!
We add nutritional information to the base of every recipe, in the recipe notes section. If you can’t find it, you may be viewing our page through the very efficient “no frills” view. All you have to do is scroll to bottom and click “View Non-AMP” and you’ll get the recipe and nutritional information in it’ full glory.
Ingredients for Making Your Low Carb Beef Bolognese Sauce:
- 4 cups of Beef Stock or Broth
- 2 ounces of Tallow
- 2 medium Brown Onions, diced
- 6 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of Marjoram, dried
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 3 pounds of Ground Beef
- 24 ounces of Tomato Puree
- 1 teaspoon of Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Parsley, chopped
Instructions for Making Your Low Carb Beef Bolognese Sauce:
- Place the beef stock into a small saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until it reduces into 1 cup of liquid.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, place the tallow and allow to melt and heat.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, marjoram and salt. Saute for 5 minutes, until the onions have softened and turned translucent.
- Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Reduce the heat to low.
- Pour in the tomato puree and reduced beef stock and simmer, uncovered, and stirring occasionally for 60-80 minutes. The liquid should be mostly absorbed, leaving a thick and rich sauce.
- Add the remaining ingredients, check the seasoning and add more salt or pepper if desired.
- Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy.
If you want to make a larger batch of Low Carb Beef Bolognese Sauce, simply adjust the serving amounts in our easy to use recipe card below. The measurements and ingredients will adjust themselves, and all you have to do is follow the method.
Do you work in the metric measuring system? It’s easy to switch the units from US imperial to metric with the drop down menu on the recipe card below.